Friday, November 03, 2006

The Red Queen

When Alice complained that they were not getting anywhere with their constant running, the Queen said that in Wonderland it always takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.

Most of us do struggle to keep up, and in my case it has to do with paper. I get too many newspapers and magazines, including the New York Sunday Times. I spend as much time at the kitchen table throwing away papers into a box as I do eating.

The solution is simple. I must stop getting some things, but which ones? Also, I must conquer the backlog of many hundreds of pages torn out for later. Well, this is later. If I don't conquer this mountain, Mrs. Red Queen, I'll never get to the quietly waiting pile of requests from all the charities. I've given to over 100 of them, and mail from new ones keeps arriving, thanks to the efficient computers that spread my information around, and systematically churn out bulk mail. Between papers and charities, I am cornered.

My spare time is gone, and I wonder how I ever held down a steady job, or indeed paid any attention to my own family, who appeared from somewhere, somehow. Is it fear of something, or instinct, or just habit that makes me like this? And what do I mean by just habit?

Maybe I should read Alice and Through the Looking Glass again, or consult the Red Queen myself. If I weren't so busy, I'd get around to that.

Right now I'm off to bed, because I have so much to attend to tomorrow.

5 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Blogger because said...

hi don,

I hesitate to advise my elders but you do need help. I am only seventy eight but this is my technique for dealing with the paper storm which assails me every week.

I toss all advertizzing and requests for money immediately upon recognizing them as such.

I read my news papers on line becuuse I used to have so much to throw out I literally and physically couldn't handle the bulk. my favorite news papers are the washington post, the slate magazine, the nytimes and occassional others. they live in my bookmarks program no longer a clutter problem.

I suggest that the charities that you support can probably get long by this time with what you have already provided but that's your call.
take care. . .winsum from seniornet

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's ok to let go of things that are eating up your time and that don't improve your life to any great degree...

It may be somewhat unconventional ... but you'll find you actually have a lot more time than you thought...

Perhaps if we all did this, we'd enjoy life a lot more.

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I highly recommend "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.

Start anywhere and read a page. You might get some ideas right away.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, gucci outlet, nike air max, nike roshe run, sac longchamp, ralph lauren pas cher, burberry, air jordan pas cher, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, longchamp, christian louboutin outlet, louboutin, chanel handbags, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, nike free, louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, michael kors, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, longchamp pas cher, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, replica watches, prada handbags, uggs on sale, louboutin shoes, louboutin pas cher, air max, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, replica watches, nike free

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

canada goose, moncler, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, barbour jackets, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose outlet, thomas sabo, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, links of london, pandora charms, converse outlet, moncler, gucci, juicy couture outlet, barbour, moncler, pandora jewelry, supra shoes, montre pas cher, moncler, wedding dresses, converse, doudoune canada goose, moncler, moncler, marc jacobs, louis vuitton, ugg boots uk, ugg pas cher, canada goose outlet, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, lancel, pandora charms, coach outlet, sac louis vuitton pas cher, replica watches, toms shoes, ray ban, moncler, swarovski crystal, karen millen, bottes ugg, moncler outlet, canada goose, canada goose uk, canada goose, canada goose, swarovski, hollister

 

Post a Comment

<< Home