Saturday, August 26, 2006

On Being Old

Anyone over 90 who says they never give their age a thought is not being truthful. Every day I wake, I give thanks and check my pulse. Then I go to the front door and get the papers, and get six dollars in coins to put away never to be spent (I will get back to that another time). Then I attend to the first pills of the day before I eat and listen to the morning news on TV, which is always bad these days, with various religious persuasions infiltrating and killing each other in and around the Holy Land. I want to keep up, even though I am old and do not have to do anything about it all.

Somewhere along the line I have suffered osteoporosis, and my back hurts if I have not laid down for more than five hours or so. So after lunch I do lie down for a half hour, which can easily become two hours. After that is when I do things I should do every day, like this page of comment, which would be better done first thing in the morning, with orange juice.

This brings up the subject of habit, about which I will write again. Long ago when I was in the tuberculosis hospital, I learned that three weeks of doing the same thing at the same time each day forms a habit, especially if it displaces another one, and you will feel guilty if you do not do it. As you grow older, forming habits helps to make up for the loss of short-term memory, which is inevitable.

Now that I have gotten started, again, on getting old, I could go on indefinitely, but at least I have several topics, related, I can turn to. I meant to write a page, and I have, and I will be back.

6 Comments:

At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy to leave a message here as first one. i wonder whether i cannot read this 26th blog on your blog's homepage, maybe you will have a check of it?

Best regards!

 
At 1:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which TB hospital did you go to? Is it the one in Louisville, KY? I'm just interested in that place ... by the way, sorry this is from your super old post. I just found your blog.

Appreciate your 'living words of wisdom'.

 
At 2:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we offer cheap Wholesale Ugg bootAir Jordans shoesUgg boot and new Air ...Air Jordan Air Jordans wholesale nike Air Jordan shoes,air jordans,nike dunks,air force ones ... shox oz shoes,nike shox nz shoes,Duck shoes,puma shoes,james lebron shoes ...Nike shoes Jordan Shoes wholesale Jordan wholesale Jordans holesale Jordans, Jordan Shoes, Air Max, Max 95, Max 90, Shox R4, Max TN, Goach Gucci LV chanelwholesale Nike jordan sneakersjordan retroUgg boots - cheap Jordan shoes Cheap air Jordan women Jordan shoesNike ugg boots - jordan air force air force onewholesale air force oneWomen's Training Shoes: ...Wholesale Jordans, Jair force one wholesale Air Jordans Shoes - Nike air force 1 shoes - Nike ... cheap nikecheap jordan- Job Searching: Technicalcheap jordanscheap jordan shoes air jor nike air jordan shoes -e ... nike air max 1 shoes, nike shox turbo sh ...dan retro Air Jordan shoes, Air Force Ones,nike air maxnike air force 1 Bagssell cheaperJORDAN SHOES WHOLESALE AIR JORDAN WHOLESALE WHOLESALE AIR JORDAN nike shox max jordan puma sneaker includes:air jordansnike air jordan Viii nike air force 1 shoes - air forcair jordan Xiii Verified Company, The most trustworthy Wnike air force oneJordan Shoes, Air Jordan, Air Jordans, Nike Shoes are cheap to buy ... - 5 visits - Nov 1Air Jordan retro shoes oes, ordan Shoes, Air Max, CHEAP NIKE SHOES CHEAP AIR JORDAN SHOES Max 95, Max 90, Shox R4timberland boot We specialize in selling Nike Shoesprada shoes Nike Shox and Air Max online since 2003, we offer cheap Air Jordans shoes and new Air ...

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Benedict said...

This can't succeed in reality, that is what I think.
cheapest Retrosun | cheapest sale of Jenni Kayne | discount Satchel

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Gregory said...

I found a lot of helpful info here!
here | at this shop | Marc Jacobs Grey Dot Print T_shirt

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, gucci outlet, nike air max, nike roshe run, sac longchamp, ralph lauren pas cher, burberry, air jordan pas cher, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, longchamp, christian louboutin outlet, louboutin, chanel handbags, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, nike free, louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, michael kors, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, longchamp pas cher, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, replica watches, prada handbags, uggs on sale, louboutin shoes, louboutin pas cher, air max, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, replica watches, nike free

 

Post a Comment

<< Home